Hikes! Fans Could Spend $563 to Attend College Football Games This Season!
AUGUST 25, 2015 – With college football season just a few short days away, hotels around the country are gearing up to host fans — but are they also hiking up their prices? Hotel search trivago.com partnered with Vivid Seats, the nation’s largest independent ticket marketplace for live events, to see which fans of the Top 25 Associated Press ranked teams could pay the most to sit in the stands at home games in 2015.
As seen in the table above, which shows an analysis of the average 2014 nightly hotel rates for home game weekends and the 2015 median price for home game tickets, trivago and Vivid Seats’ data gives the best overview of just how much supporting a squad could cost fans this season.
• Fighting Irish fans have the highest combined ticket and hotel price, paying $135 more for a game day ticket than a South Bend hotel room
• Home game tickets for top-ranked Ohio State are $79 more than a hotel room in Columbus
• Cheering for Arizona or Arizona State means paying the lowest combined price tag in the Top 25, with Wildcats fans spending $400+ less than Notre Dame fans
• Seminoles and Cardinal fans will spend almost $150 more for a hotel than a home game ticket
Analyzing 2014’s hotel rates further in the table below, trivago compared non-game and game weekends to see just how much hotel prices increased (or decreased) from non-game weekend to game weekend. If last year’s hotel price increases are any indication, fans of many of the Top 25 teams will feel the pinch for accommodation during home games.
• Tallahassee, Tuscaloosa, and Clemson saw the largest hikes in hotel prices, and fans this season could see hotel prices double for home game weekends
• AP ranked #1 Buckeyes and #2 Horned Frogs have some of the lowest hotel price hikes, with both seeing less than a 5% difference between weekends
• Hotels in Boise are actually cheaper when the Broncos play at home, saving fans a few bucks
“It’s not uncommon to see hotel price spikes during college football season, especially considering many of the teams analyzed are located in smaller, more remote cities and towns that often lack adequate accommodation for major events and large crowds,” says Jeremy Crider, US Public Relations for trivago.com. “Booking a room well in advance of the season is the best way to avoid paying astronomical rates.”
Travelers find the ideal hotel for the best price on www.trivago.com. trivago is the world’s largest online hotel search site, comparing rates from over 900,000 hotels on over 250 booking sites worldwide. trivago integrates over 180 million hotel ratings and 14 million photos in order to make finding the perfect hotel easier for users. Over 80 million visitors per month find their ideal hotel by using trivago’s various filters. trivago was founded in 2005 in Düsseldorf, Germany and currently operates 52 international country platforms in 33 languages.
More About Vivid Seats
Vivid Seats is the largest independent ticket marketplace for live sports, concert, and theater events. Founded in 2001, the Chicago-based company leads the industry in providing maximum value and affordability across one of the widest selections of premium tickets. Vivid Seats supports all orders with its comprehensive 100% buyer guarantee along with an in-house customer service team to ensure the safest and most convenient purchase experience. Live event fans can get started shopping today by visiting VividSeats.com or calling 866-848-8499.
For more information on Vivid Seats or this release, contact Amy Hyerczyk at Amy.Hyerczyk@vividseats.com