The most important thing we’ve learned over the past year? Every challenge offers a new opportunity. With the travel industry being disrupted like never before, our mission is to drive the restart of the travel industry with our ability to adapt quickly and focus on our purpose: to empower people to get more out of life. We have a once-in-a-lifetime-opportunity to shape the future of the travel industry and we want you to be part of it. Can we count you in?
Our team maintains, supports, and improves our internal big-data streaming infrastructure to ensure that other tech teams have access to the most up-to-date data quickly and reliably. We’re seeking a full-time systems administrator/devops engineer to help us in our quest to provide data to the teams and applications that use it, while improving and unifying our infrastructure across global data centres and cloud regions.
Get an inside look at tech at trivago:
What you’ll do:
- Help operate and maintain globally distributed Apache Kafka clusters and supporting software, both in a data-center and cloud environment.
- Provide support to other tech teams regarding best practices for interacting with Kafka streams.
- Troubleshoot reasons for malfunctions, support the team members by investigating misbehaviour of the application, implement solutions and document them via a transparent and blameless post-mortem.
- Be part of a fully paid “On-Call” rotation.
- Take ownership, contribute your ideas and help us to stay one step ahead: you will be encouraged to challenge our current processes and consider what we can do differently while always keeping business priorities and value creation in mind.
Our Technology Stack:
- Apache Kafka
- Linux, especially Debian
What you’ll definitely need:
- Experience as a Systems administrator/DevOps engineer.
- Experience running and troubleshooting JVM-based applications in a production environment.
- A solid understanding of SQL databases.
- Good knowledge of shell scripting and Linux-based systems and tools.
- A pragmatic, value-oriented mindset to drive for results in a fast paced environment.
- Self-motivation and a passion for solving complex technical problems
- A good level of English (our company language) to be comfortable speaking it daily, as well as a constructive attitude towards communicating with our stakeholders.
What we’d love you to have:
- Hands-on experience setting up and maintaining Kafka clusters.
- Experience writing a JVM-based language (Java or Kotlin).
- Solid knowledge of java build systems (Gradle and/or Maven).
- Hands-On experience with technologies from our application stack.
- A thirst for knowledge and a desire to learn about modern application and infrastructure best-practices.
- A proactive personality and good communication skills and confidence in presenting ideas and findings to stakeholders.
What you can expect from life at trivago:
- Entrepreneurship: The freedom to take ownership of your work and drive initiatives independently. It’s the idea that counts, not the position.
- Growth: Support for your development, constant new challenges, regular peer feedback, mentorship and training.
- International workforce: Collaboration with international talents from 80+ nations bringing different perspectives, backgrounds and expertise together to ensure a truly global focus.
- Flexibility: Self-determined working hours and the opportunity to split your time between home and our campus in Düsseldorf. Read more about our hybrid work model here.
- Relocation and integration: Support with relocation costs, work permit and visa questions, insurance and free language classes.
- Equal opportunity: Commitment to fostering an all-inclusive workplace, because we know representing the diversity of our users in our talent force enables us to create a more meaningful product.
- To find out more about life at trivago follow us on @lifeattrivago on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- To learn more about tech at trivago, check out our tech blog and follow @tech_trivago.
- Want to learn more about trivago’s business model to prepare for your interview? Find out more about Our Product here.
A note regarding COVID-19:
We understand that there is a lot of uncertainty around the future of the travel industry. If you want more insight into our current strategy and outlook, follow our LinkedIn company updates. Our recruiting team will be on hand every step of the way, but if you have any questions or concerns before applying, feel free to reach out to us at email@example.com. We look forward to your application!